Substitute Kitchen rating: 10/10
- Low cost/reusable ingredients
- Diet friendly
- *Dairy free, Gluten free, Paleo, Soy free
- Time effective
- Total time to make was 30 minutes
I love a good donut, especially one with bacon. It can be a real challenge to find quality paleo treats without the hefty price tag but these really hit all the marks. They had a great fluffy donut texture without being too dense. Honestly, I created this recipe on a whim and I wasn’t sure they would work. Boy was I glad they did!
This is a really good Paleo flour blend (Not sponsored) that I have come across that is also low in sugar. I am a little on the fence with monk fruit though, I’m not a big fan of the aftertaste. If you have never had anything with monk fruit in it than I would suggest testing out this sugar substitute in a small packet before you buy a big bag! In this recipe though I didn’t even notice the aftertaste like I usually do. Ah, magic of maple and bacon.
You can get this brand at a lot of food stores. I’ve found it at Mariano’s, Whole Foods, and Harris Teeter to name a few. It’s cost effective and versatile for lazy Saturday mornings. I made this recipe on a Tuesday morning before work to give you some time context.
yield 8 donuts (I used a 12 x 8 in pan, cavity size 3.25 in)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes (allow 5 minutes to cool)
- 1 1/2 cups Paleo flour mix (I used BirchBenders)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup or Honey (*FM use Brown rice syrup)
- 2-3 pieces crushed bacon
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (*DF use Kite Hill almond cream cheese)
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute
- 1 tsp bacon grease (Yum)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl and then mix in water.
- Grease donut pan and then pour in batter.
- Do not overfill the donut cavities because the batter will rise.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until they pass the tooth pick test.
- Let cool on a cooling rack then glaze and enjoy!!
What says Saturday morning like a hot fresh donut?
These went pretty fast when I brought them into the office. I’ll admit I had one as well… or two. Let me know if you try the recipe. I hope you enjoy!