- 3/4 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/8 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup glucose I use light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tablespoon glycerin vegetable-based
- 5 cups Swerve powdered sugar substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or other flavoring extracts
Start by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl through a large metal strainer. You don’t want any lumps in your fondant!
Mix the agar powder with water in a small saucepan and let it soak for at least 15 minutes. Then place the saucepan on the stove top on low heat. The goal is to dissolve the agar mixture. This has to be done slowly (approximately 10 minutes). Bring the agar agar to a slow boil for one minute then take it off the heat.
Now, add the light corn syrup and shortening. Stir the mixture until all of the shortening dissolves.
Stir in glycerin and flavoring.
Put half of the sifted icing sugar into another bowl. Make a well and pour in the agar mixture. Stir together with a spatula as much as possible adding more icing sugar when needed. When you can’t stir anymore start kneading in the icing sugar as needed by hand. It takes me usually almost 4.5 cups icing sugar to get the right fondant consistency. Form the fondant into a ball.
If you are not using it right away wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc bag. Refrigeration is not required and might not be best. * Update: I’ve had my fondant out for a week now and it is still workable.
The finished fondant should be sufficient to cover a 8″x4″ or a 10″x3″ round cake.
To make Gum paste from the fondant:
- Take fondant you just made and place on a surface that is generously dusted with cornstarch.
- Dust you hands with corn starch and start to flatten fondant. It will still be very sticky.
- Add about 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp of tylose powder. (I know it’s a lot )
- Continue to knead the tylose into your fondant until it starts to take on the gum paste texture.
- Add cornstarch to your board when it starts to stick.
- Add any colors after you have the right consistency.
- Viola! You have gum paste. I made some pretty flowers with mine.